Happy (homemade) Halloween!
I can’t believe I’m blogging about sewing instead of camping, because we did go camping and it was not a disaster! Yeah! The curse has been broken! I’ll put up photos later, but right now I’m going to share some of the sweet baby crafting I’ve been doing. This fall seems to be a very busy time for babies among my friends and cousins. I’ve been churning out cute little bibs left and right and have finished a couple little projects in too much haste to photograph them, but I did manage to snap these before they were out the door. This is a flannel-lined cotton jacket and booties based on patterns in the One Yard Wonders book. I’ve blogged about patterns from this book before; it’s so great. It’s become my go-to for quick and cute gift ideas. This jacket came together really quickly and could easily be made in fabrics for a boy or a girl. It’s not grouped with the booties in the book but I thought they made natural companions for a gift. These are for the baby girl expected by one of my cousins.
This little diaper kit was inspired by a Pinterest pin. I have always kept little drawstring bags with diaper change supplies tucked in various spots I might need them, and have even given new mothers drawstring bags before with a suggestion to use them as such, but I had not thought of packaging them as “kit” to make a gift. I bought a pack of newborn diapers (and am now, creepily, being sent baby coupons by Target), some individual wipes packs, a box of disposable changing pads and some individually-wrapped hand-sanitizing wipes. To make up the kits I just stick one or two of each item in a handmade drawstring bag and stick on a little printed label. I’ve now used these bags as add-ons to several baby gifts recently. I feel like they’d make a particularly nice gift to a second-time mother who may be over the hassle of a big diaper bag but who still needs to have all the diaper-change goods at the ready.
I recently finished this crocheted shawl for myself. I don’t even remember how long ago I started this project–maybe 18 months ago? I kept it in my car to take in with me when I needed something to do in waiting rooms or boring places. Then I lost the paper pattern I’d printed from the internet and abandoned the project for a while, searched on Ravelry but couldn’t find it again, then finally came back to it and decided I was just going to need to figure it out or frog it, so I figured it out.
Next the project sat in a bin under my sewing table for another month or so while I put off weaving in the ends (oh procrastination!), until one chilly morning recently I realized I needed it because there was yogurt or something smeared on the only cardigan I owned that matched my dress, so I threw it on as it was and wore it off to my Sunday School, where I sat quietly and wove in the ends in the back row.
It’s a good weight and has a nice drape. I used cotton yarn from Knitpicks–I think this one. I fastened it with my husband’s tie bar because that was what I could find in a hurry, but I think I have some of my Grandma’s vintage pins somewhere that would look nice on this. I’ve been on a Jane Austen kick lately so the completion of this project is well-timed; maybe I’ll put it on while I have my afternoon coffee and daydream away my worn house-slippers and my crayon-stained wall as I watch out the window for Mr. Darcy…