I recently finished this crocheted shawl for myself. I don’t even remember how long ago I started this project–maybe 18 months ago? I kept it in my car to take in with me when I needed something to do in waiting rooms or boring places. Then I lost the paper pattern I’d printed from the internet and abandoned the project for a while, searched on Ravelry but couldn’t find it again, then finally came back to it and decided I was just going to need to figure it out or frog it, so I figured it out.
Next the project sat in a bin under my sewing table for another month or so while I put off weaving in the ends (oh procrastination!), until one chilly morning recently I realized I needed it because there was yogurt or something smeared on the only cardigan I owned that matched my dress, so I threw it on as it was and wore it off to my Sunday School, where I sat quietly and wove in the ends in the back row.
It’s a good weight and has a nice drape. I used cotton yarn from Knitpicks–I think this one. I fastened it with my husband’s tie bar because that was what I could find in a hurry, but I think I have some of my Grandma’s vintage pins somewhere that would look nice on this. I’ve been on a Jane Austen kick lately so the completion of this project is well-timed; maybe I’ll put it on while I have my afternoon coffee and daydream away my worn house-slippers and my crayon-stained wall as I watch out the window for Mr. Darcy…
We recently took Little Red on a very fun camping trip with some friends. In preparation for our weekend I took one of our camper windows, which had cracked over the winter, to a local glass place to have it replaced. I was a little worried about removing the window but it unscrewed easily. I hung cardboard in the empty spot and hoped for no rain during the time the window was out. Fortunately, the glass was replaced very quickly and without great expense. I felt so DIY-empowered. Until I went to rehang the window…
at which point I apparently over-tightened the screws and cracked the new window in two places. Ouch. And it really wasn’t in the time or money budget to try it again, so I duct-taped the broken window and went camping with it like that. Given the amount of foot traffic our camper generates in a campground I have to admit it was a little embarrassing to have so many eyes on my paint job and duct taped window, but what’s a girl to do? At least the tape job seems to be watertight; our camping trip involved heavy storms (followed by lots of mud for the children to play in–lucky kids!) but the window and tape held up. One of our camping friends snapped this photo of all of us in front of our petite camp residence du rouge.
We met up with three other families on this trip and had an excellent time. All the kids banded together to form their own little tricycle gang and I’m not sure my own kids will ever be happy camping with just our family again. One of my favorite parts of the trip was when a nearby camper stopped by to chat and told me she’d snapped a photo of my camper and put it on Facebook. Funny! Maybe her photo will get back to me somehow.
I took a crochet project with me to keep my hands busy around the campfire. I’d seen this cotton yarn in the “cottage” colorway recently on Knitpicks and thought they must have made it just to go in my kitchen. The reds and blues and yellows look just right with my Pop Garden Paisley Ice curtains. I bought some inexpensive white cotton bar mops and am crocheting borders on them in the bright yarn. I’m currently working on my third in the four-pack. I’ve done two borders from this book and improvised the other. I was a little worried that the color of the yarn would fade as soon as I washed these in hot water with my other dishcloths but I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far. The yarn seems to be holding its color really well after the first couple washes.
If you are wondering why my stove knobs are missing then a) you are very perceptive, and b) you must not have a two-year-old. They are in a basket on the counter at a height only reachable by grown-ups.