Tag Archives: knitpicks swish

Sweater pants



One decent photo of sweaterpants, minus baby.longies4

One unhappy baby in cute sweater pants.

longies3Back end of cute baby in sweater pants, at my in-laws’ home, with a small chip on the lens of my camera fuzzing over most of the actual pants.
longies2And baby taking steps in cute sweater pants, which have come untied and are sagging.

Fortunately, all other aspects of this project went better than photographing these pants on the baby. These have been in the works for a long time; I started knitting them when I was pregnant, then got bored and wanted to finish things she’d wear first, and I finally picked them back up recently and finished them off. They are made from this longies pattern out of Knitpicks Swish yarn, back when it came in a multi pattern, with two solid Swish colors at the bottoms of the legs because I was going to run out of the multi.  I won’t use them as true longies (like, as a diaper cover) because they are made of washable wool, and because I’m kind of entrenched in my BumGenius routine anyway. These are just for warmth and cuteness. The fit is just adorable and the pattern worked up nicely. I may undo the cuff ribbing and add another stripe when she gets taller because I think the waist and bottom would stretch to fit her for a while if the length were increased. They are so soft and cozy; I want to snuggle her all the time!


Mama can be warm and text too


mitts mitts2 mitts3mitts1

First, can I say that my nails are never this fabulous? I think it’s a little ironic that the one time in years I have ruby-red nails, I also happened to be including my hands in a photo for my blog. Maybe it was a decision made by my subconscious, as I saw the mitts nearing completion. My conscious self painted the nails to hide the superglue that is holding one of my nails to the bed after something horrible happened while I was changing someone’s sheets. So far the nail is actually hanging on there, so perhaps vanity (in the form of red fingernails) is actually a way to avoid pain just this once.

Moving on to my cute fingerless gloves, which I hope will far outlast both my manicure and my injured nail. I bought two pairs of cheap fingerless gloves last year after I finally entered the smartphone part of the population several years after everyone else. I have to admit, I totally didn’t get the fingerless gloves fashion thing until I got the phone, and then the little lightbulb when off–oh! You can text with them, but they still keep your hands warm! Yeah! So one pair has the part that keeps your thumb warm, but the other pair, which is brown and actually goes with more of my outerwear, does not. I don’t know what kind of trick of thermodynamics causes fingerless gloves with the thumb part to be warm and toasty, while fingerless gloves without the thumb part do nothing to keep your hands warm and might as well by ice cubs laid directly on your hands, but it’s true. So I needed a brown pair with the thumbs, and since I don’t have a newborn tying up my knitting space this year I decided to make a pair for myself.

I used Knitpicks’ Swish worsted yarn (my go-to favorite) in Bark for this project, and Valerie Teppo’s One Cable Mitts pattern, as suggested by a friend. I decided to do an extra repeat of the cable pattern going up the arm to make them extra-long, so no cold could creep up my sleeves. I also made the hand part just a bit longer than the pattern calls for, again for added warmth. These have already been through the washer and dryer and are soft and cozy and just what I wanted. I’m excited to toss out the useless thumb-less pair I bought last year, and use touch-screen electronics fearlessly in the cold this winter!

Aside note for knookers: As usual, I knitted these mitts on a knook instead of knitting needles. Cables are super-easy to knook, but something went a little wrong with the way the thumb attached to the main body of the mitts. I don’t know if it’s some quirky knooking problem, or if the problem was just the way I translated the pattern to knooking myself. Anyway, there were open spaces that needed to be seamed up at the end that shouldn’t have been there, but seaming them up solved the problem just fine.